Is it too early to pack for Coachella? Together with Infantile Gambino and Ariana Grande, Tame Impala will headline the epic music competition so get a refresher on these psychedelic rock superstars.
2019 goes to be an enormous yr for music competition followers, as Coachella revealed its lineup on Jan. 2. The competition – taking place on April 12-14 and once more on April 19-21 – will see Infantile Gambino headline the primary night time. Ariana Grande will shut out the third and in between, Tame Impala will rock the home down. For many who are having a “Who?” second (which wouldn’t be the primary time with this yr’s lineup) right here’s all it’s good to learn about Tame Impala.
1. They’re a psychedelic rock band…although, they’re kinda only one man. Whereas there will likely be a full band when Tame Impala hits the stage, the band is actually the brainchild of Kevin Parker. After enjoying round among the bands within the Perth, Australia music scene, he started Tame Impala in 2007 as a home-recording challenge. After posting a couple of tracks on MySpace – sure, MySpace – he gained consideration from labels all over the world. He finally lied to the labels, saying that Tame Impala was a full band.
“I believe I used to be simply shy,” he advised the Night Commonplace. “I assumed if individuals noticed a bunch of men with lengthy hair within the image they’d take pleasure in it extra. I didn’t suppose I had something to supply as a solo artist.” As a way to deliver these songs to life in a dwell setting, Kevin has a touring band, that includes Jay Watson, Cam Avery, Dominic Less complicated and Julien Barbagallo.
2. They’re critically acclaimed… Don’t get it twisted. Tame Impala doesn’t sound like Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane or any of these bands you’d discover in your uncle’s report assortment. The band fuses “the sonics of the ’60s and ’70s with taut pop melodies and trendy digital manufacturing, the challenge discovered nice acclaim of their native Australia with their 2010 debut album, Innerspeaker,” per Pitchfork. Innerspeaker was well-received by the critics, however their following albums – 2012’s Lonerism and 2015’s Currents – are those that earned them essential acclaim.
3. …and so they’ve labored with some massive stars. For those who’re a fan of Girl Gaga’s “Excellent Phantasm,” or Rihanna’s “Similar Ol’ Errors,” you possibly can thank Kevin, as he wrote the lyrics/music for the tracks. He’s additionally labored with Travis Scott, Daft Punk and others.
4. He’s on Ye…sorta. “That was an absolute saga. It was uncannily poor timing,” he advised the Night Commonplace. As Kanye West was premiering his Ye album, Kevin was giving an interview. A buddy texted Kevin to inform him that his music was enjoying, so Kevin advised the journalist he was on “Ghost City.” Seems, his contribution was left off that music, and he was credited on one other music, “Violent Crimes.”
5. Kevin’s simply as shocked at his band’s fame as you might be. “It’s the final world I might have anticipated to finish up in however I’ve grow to be extra comfy with it,” Kevin says about his newfound fame.
“I’m truly a very poor choose of how profitable Tame Impala is. I are likely to underestimate it. But when it had occurred any quicker, it will have been uncontrolled for me personally,” he added. “I believe each time I’ve launched an album it’s had this gradual construct. I believe that’s the results of the sort of music it’s. It will get beneath your pores and skin.”